Friday, January 30, 2015

Adult Readers Advisory: "The Camel Club" by David Baldacci


The Camel Club
By David Baldacci

Synopsis

The Camel Club, a group of misfit conspiracy theorists in Washington D.C., stumble upon a complex and tangled plot that reaches all the way to the White House. When Camel Club leader Oliver Stone (not his real name) and his friends witness a murder, they discover that it’s just part of a plan that puts the nation’s safety and security at risk. The Camel Club teams up with Secret Service agent Alex Ford to uncover the plot - and save the country.

Thriller Elements

Pacing: “The Camel Club” is densely written, with many threads of plots working independently and an impressive attention to detail. However, chapters are short and almost always end on a cliffhanger, driving the pace of the book. Plotline slowly but surely come together into an explosive confrontation. The book does have a strong political message, and Baldacci occasionally pauses the action in order to make a political point.

Frame & Setting: It’s obvious that Baldacci is from the Washington D.C. area, because “The Camel Club” is immersed in the characters, motives, and setting of the nation’s capital. The book also goes into great detail about the lives of secret service agents, politicians, terrorist cells, and, of course, conspiracy theorists. It’s well-researched and has a definite political thriller feel.

Story Line: “The Camel Club” has twists and turns galore, and it does get complicated, especially because there are some characters that have aliases. It’s like watching a complex puzzle slowly come together. The story focuses on a fictional post-9/11 world where there have been terrorist attacks on American soil and, while some of those aspects feel topical even 10 years later, some of the portrayals of terrorists feel less-than-modern.

Characterization: Oliver Stone and Alex Ford are sympathetic and heroic characters, and they play nicely off each other; they are both out for justice and come down firmly on the side of good, but they go about their mission in very different ways. Oliver Stone is also especially interesting because the reader gets only glimpses of his complex and morally ambiguous past. The rest of the Camel Club members are colorful and entertaining, and many of the rest of the characters are enigmas, with little indication of where their loyalties truly lie.

Tone & Mood: “The Camel Club” is violent - the book racks up the body count - and things sometimes feel bleak, especially for the main characters. The book ends on a positive note, but things are far from happy and resolved.

Style & Language: Baldacci’s writing style is not particularly notable; this is, in many ways, a boilerplate political thriller. However he deftly uses political and law enforcement jargon to great effect throughout “The Camel Club.”

Read-Alikes

Readers may enjoy the next book in the Camel Club series, “The Collectors,” and other of Baldacci’s works, such as “Split Second,” which follows a Secret Service agent and an ex-Secret Service agent searching for an abducted presidential candidate, or legal thriller “True Blue.”
Other authors to check out are: Harlan Coben (“Deal Breaker,” “Hold Tight”), James Grippando (“The Pardon,” “Intent to Kill”), Kyle Mills (“Rising Phoenix”), Jeffrey Deaver (“The Bone Collector”), and James Patterson (Alex Cross and Michael Bennett series).

Jenny’s Take

It took me a long time to get into “The Camel Club.” The book had a lot of disparate plot threads, with people all doing their own things that were apparently unrelated to each other. When the pieces finally started to materialize, things got more interesting and the conclusion ended up pretty, well, thrilling, but, for my taste, it took way too long to get to the “good parts.”

I also felt like “The Camel Club” was pretty heavy, and heavy-handed, on the political messages. I found myself wishing that he had left a bit more to the readers’ imagination, rather than making his characters mouthpieces for a political message.

There were also some intriguing characters, but many, especially the leads, felt distant. I like to get to know characters in the books I read! Thankfully, the chapters were short so I didn’t have to spend a long time reading about people who I didn’t find as interesting.

“The Camel Club” was not a favorite of mine, but I can definitely understand the appeal to those who like thrillers! This is a good book for thriller readers, but not a great first title for people crossing over into this genre from others, especially people who like to get to know the characters.

8 comments:

  1. Jenny, thanks for your take on the "The Camel Club." I am not a reader of political thrillers either, but I can see how they can be appealing to some readers. --I do like books with really short chapters! I am reading my adventure pick right now. Its by Jeffery Deaver, and I can see how readers of either thriller or adventure genres can find similarities and books they like in both genres. A lot of the appeal factors are the same. I
    do think that it would be annoying to have a really strong political message in a fiction book I am reading. Thats just not what I am looking for when I read a book for entertainment.
    Kaela
    https://readersadvisory524.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I like short chapters too, especially ones that keep you wanting more! I'm reading an urban fantasy book ("Shadowfever" by Karen Marie Moning) right now that has some thriller elements, including short chapters and a thick plot with a LOT of twists.(I was reading it on a train yesterday and I'm sure the person sitting next to me probably thought I was crazy with all of the shocked facial expressions I was making.) There is a lot more concentration on getting to know the characters, though - I am much more connected with the characters in this book than I was with "The Camel Club." Of course, this is the fifth book in the series, so I have spent a lot of time with these characters!

      It's been interesting already to start to look at the appeal elements of the books I read and how they are the same and different from books from other genres.

      Delete
  2. The review you gave on The Camel Club gives the reader an in-depth view as to if this book would be a good choice for them. Giving the reader elements such as pacing, and characterization lets them understand how the book is constructed and allows them to decide if these elements are the right fit for their reading preferences. I agree with you that I like to know more of a back story to get to know the characters and would have difficulty reading a book that takes half of the book to put pieces together. The major political tones would also be a real turn off for me as well. Your review gives me the information that this would not be a book that I would want to read, especially since thrillers are not my typical genre, but would also give others the insight into the book that may just be the right fit for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Baldacci is really popular at the library where I work, but they have never really appealed to me. I appreciate your review, especially elements such as pacing which is one reason I love using Novelist. The other thing that I don't love, unless done exceptionally well, are books that focus too much on a political agenda.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baldacci is really popular at the library where I work too, which is part of the reason I chose it. I wasn't particularly impressed but I do think that the second book, "The Collectors," looks more interesting (in part because the plot involves the Library of Congress!). I may try the second book sometime.

      Delete

  4. Hi Jenny ~ what a detailed annotation. I so enjoyed reading this. The Camel Club seems your typical thriller with the short chapters. Your analogy of the book being like a complex puzzle really piqued my interest, for I enjoy those kinds of books you can’t quite figure out. You left me wondering who or what the bad guy was in the book. Are they chasing a terrorist or cell or something? It’s hard for me to read violence; I tend to gloss over those and do sometimes miss a point because of this. I think I’m like you; I like more complexity to my characters and certainly enjoy works with lots of twists and turns. As for the political aspect, I might enjoy that as well. I am not sure I would read “The Camel Club.” Thank you for the annotation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job on your annotation. Thrillers are extremely popular at the library I work for and imagine this is same in most systems. I could imagine using an annotation like this one to really help steer patrons towards other books they might like.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review, I have read the book and loved the whole series. Definitely nailed the read alikes, I have read several of the ones you listed.

    ReplyDelete