Sunday, January 18, 2015

Adult Readers Advisory: Reading Profile

I like to call myself an omnivorous reader! I try to read a little bit of everything and, most of the time, I succeed! However, there are a few genres that I enjoy more than others.
  • Romance: It's a fun genre with a surprising amount of diversity, and romance novels being written nowadays are fun, sexy, and, often, feminist. They are also a great way to unwind, and, especially when things are stressful, it's nice to know that the main characters in the book are going to get their Happily Every After. I tend toward historical romances, although I have read and enjoyed some contemporary romances and a few paranormal romances.
    • Current Favorite Romance Novels
      • "Devil in Winter" by Lisa Kleypas
      • "Romancing Mr. Bridgerton" by Julia Quinn
      • "Thief of Shadows" by Elizabeth Hoyt
      • "Three Weeks with Lady X" by Eloisa James
  • Graphic Novels: It's not really a genre, but a format, but I really enjoy the way that art and storytelling compliment each other in the graphic novel style, especially when the art is stylized in some way that compliments the story being told. I tend to read supernatural and horror stories, but I have also read love stories, historical fiction, science fiction, and realistic fiction in the graphic novel format, and I've read a few graphic novel adaptations of books.
    • Current Favorite Graphic Novels
      • "Chew" series by John Layman
      • "Preacher" series by Garth Ennis
      • "American Born Chinese" by Gene Luen Yang
      • "Laika" by Nick Abadzis
  • Science Fiction: I really got into science fiction through my childhood love of "Star Wars," but I enjoy a variety of Science Fiction, mostly "lighter" sci-fi that might even be called "science fantasy" by some. I love seeing peoples' visions of the future, the past, other worlds, and worlds that never were.
    • Current Favorite Science Fiction Novels:
      • "Across the Universe" by Beth Revis
      • "The Last Universe" by William Sleator
      • "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" series by Douglas Adams
      • "Feed" by M.T. Anderson
      • "A Wrinkle in Time" by Madeline L'Engle
      • "Red Rising" by Pierce Brown.
A few other favorite books that don't quite fit into these categories are:
  • "Eleanor & Park" by Rainbow Rowell
  • "Code Name Verity" & "Rose Under Fire" by Elizabeth Wein
  • "Neverwhere" by Neil Gaiman
  • "The Cuckoo's Calling" by Robert Galbraith
  • "Size 12" series by Meg Cabot
See what I mean by "omnivorous reader"?

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love Eleanor & Park (I highly recommend Fangirl, Landline, and Attachments as well by Rainbow Rowell!) as well as the Heather Wells/Size 12 series by Meg Cabot. I am reading The Cuckoo's Calling for my mystery book annotation. I am a Harry Potter die-hard, but I just haven't had time to read any of her adult works.

    In my short time as a YA Librarian, I know just how popular my manga section and gaming guide books are - they have higher circs than anything else in my room!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "A Wrinkle in Time" was my favorite book in fourth grade! It was many years later when I discovered the other books in the series. I also LOVED "Eleanor & Park"! I've never read "Laika", but my dog is named after the original Laika.

    ReplyDelete